Monday 12 August 2013

A Red Adventure

That's how I choose to look at it anyway. The reality of daily living may otherwise be quite monotonous. There's no denying it, we're a little isolated up here. From civilisation (it feels at times).

We arrived nearly 2 months ago, to live together, full time as a family. No more FIFO. Residential. A small mining town, with not a whole lot to do, where Woolworths is about as good as the shopping gets (if you don't count the Visitors centre), and a good coffee is about 10-15 minutes drive out of town. But we've settled in. The girls and I have a new pattern and rhythm of activities, play dates and outings. And I've adjusted, mostly. For my husband, working full-time and already used to working and living part-time in a mining town, it has been easier.

The red dirt is in the cracks of my heels, and doesn't wash out anymore.
My thongs, and any other pair of shoes I'm happy to sacrifice, are tinged with red dust.
I drive slowly now, so that the one song I chose on my playlist to listen to gets the chance to finish before I arrive at where I'm needing to go.
Napisan goes into every wash in an attempt to keep the red dirt stains at bay from our clothes.
And my daughters faces are more often than not, now covered in a smeary mixture of red dirt and sweat by the end of day.

It wasn't part of the life plan to be here. Not where I could have ever imagined myself living. It has taken us even further away from those I hoped to be closer to one day. One step backwards will hopefully be two step forwards in time.

So I started a small blog (which is still under some construction). To keep in touch with everyone that we're now far away from. To share what we're up to. How we're fairing. And to share our travels about while we enjoy and appreciate this part of the world, and the experience of living in the Pilbara. It might be red and dusty, and getting increasingly warmer and warmer, but this part of the country is nonetheless beautiful.

Welcome and hope you enjoy!!

6 comments:

  1. Hello, I've have read every post and am loving your blog. We have quite similar lives. I'm really looking forward to following. I too would love to be a children's librarian, I thought it would be perfect one my boys are at school, surrounded by children's books which I love and the opportunity to have school holidays off with my children. Have a great week! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I love your blog also. I love seeing all of the green. I really miss it at times x

      Delete
  2. Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog- being here brought back loads of memories. We travelled through Newman many times over the three years we were in the desert. I lived at well 33 on the canning stock route- isolated indeed! Funny to say but the sand stains more than your feet- you will miss it one day. I will be following your journey. Many hugs- x Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Ashley. I have been told many times that the red dirt gets into your blood. I'm not sure I'm quite there yet, but you never know!! x

      Delete
  3. A beautiful start to a lovely life. I look forward to following your red life! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...