Wednesday 12 February 2014

A Trip To The Beach { Opthalmia Dam }

Well this is obviously no Whitsunday Island. No white sand. No clear blue waters.

Just red dirt. 45 degree temperatures and a whole lot of water after all the rain we've had recently. To locals here, this is our beach. 

Let's just say, even with the hot temperatures, that I wasn't keen to pull out the bikinis, sunbake and go for a swim. In anyway. But it was a refreshing paddle, wet your toes, nonetheless. 

And the girls loved it. Which really is all it's about anyway.

Before moving here, you would have never seen me in such a place. Let alone catch me dipping my toes into water quite so dirty looking (let me just say it's not actually dirty, it's just stained red). Funny what 7 months of living in the Pilbara can find you doing. And being totally comfortable with!







A box of tissues and endless fun.

Toby, overseeing our drive home.

Happy summer beach days x

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing, beautiful pictures. Such an amazing part of our country, makes me want to hitch up our caravan and go travelling. Love, love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, It is really worth visiting this part of the country. You really do feel the "spirit" of Australia when you're travelling and exploring here x

      Delete
  2. What a spectacular scenery- red ocean, blue sky, floating gum tree- beautiful! mel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the water around England is a sort of muddy brown colour, not dirty as you say, just the colour, but I have never seen such red water that I remember, looks as though you had a good time. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is different to anywhere else up here!

      Delete
  4. When it's that hot I guess even red water will do! And a lot of water too, quite amazing. I was curious as to where in the Pilbara you lived. We lived in Exmouth for a year a while back, but at least there was the beach on those 45+ days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lucky you, we're heading to Exmouth in few months time and we can't wait. We really miss the ocean living here x

      Delete
  5. This looks like a wonderfully happy day! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! It looks so completely different to what I'm used to and I love that. Are there fish in there? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are, small tadpole sized fish! Sonia did you see my post above, you won the giveaway. You can thank my husband for picking your name out!

      Delete
  7. These shots are amazing! This part of the world has its own unique beauty that I really love. Lovely photos of your Girls :-) Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  8. what amazing pictures - thank you carla! it's really wonderful to see your part of the world - how varied our great big land is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, but I do think of the greenness of Tasmania very often!!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...